full screen background image
Hazardous Materials Business Plan

MyNevadaCounty.com - County of Nevada, California

Department Directory
Employee Login

This login feature is for Nevada County Employees. Future functionality will offer citizens the ability to log in to this site and manage preferences.

Sign In

Site Help

Use the Site Help Page for tips and suggestions about MyNevadaCounty.com.
Hazardous Materials Business Plan
Published on: 4/11/2013 12:00 AM

Businesses must complete a Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) for the safe storage and use of chemicals. In general, a business must submit a HMBP if it stores/handles hazardous material equal to or greater than the minimum reportable quantities which are:

  • 55 gallons of a hazardous liquid
  • 200 standard cubic feet of a compressed gas, including oxygen
  • 500 pounds of a hazardous solid

Common hazardous materials include new and used oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, propane, antifreeze, solvents, acetylene, etc. If you have a question as to whether or not a material your business is handling should be reported in a HMBP, please contact the Hazardous Materials Division at (530) 265-1222 and ask to speak with a hazardous materials inspector.

The California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) requires HMBP be submitted online and updated annually.  These plans are then verified by our department during routine inspections of your facility. The online submittal is part of the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS). Go to http://cers.calepa.ca.gov for electronic submission of your HMBP. 

The components of an HMBP consist of at least 3 sections (or elements): Facility Information, Hazardous Materials Inventory, and the Emergency Response plan.  If you have above-ground or underground tanks, there are additional elements that need to be submitted. 

The Facility Information element has two pages that define the business activiites and contact information at your facility.  The Hazardous Material Inventory element has two pages that detail what chemicals you are storing and their location.  The Emergency Response plan element is where you submit your procedures for handling a spill or leak, and for training your employees.  The additional elements for tanks provide information about the tanks at your facility (if any), what they store, and how they are monitored.

Some of these requirements can be satisified by uploading templates to make it easier.  These templates and instructions are available on the links below, and are optional.  Keep in mind that for the Emergency Response element, if you use the "Emergency Contingency Plan" template below, it will satisfy both the Emergency Response and Employee Training Plan requirements with one document.  The Site Map template and instructions can be used to satisfy the map requirement under the Hazardous Materials Inventory element.

Emergency Contingency Plan Preferred Template

Site Map Template

Site Map Instructions

Nevada County Environmental Health offers technical support and assistance when submitting your plan online to CERS, free of charge.  Please contact us at (530) 265-1222 and ask for help with CERS, and you will be transferred to an inspector who can assist you.

Amy Irani
Environmental Health Director
Environmental Health

950 Maidu Avenue Suite 170
Nevada City, Ca 95959
Hours: 8am-5pm M-F
Phone: 530.265.1222
Related Items:

No related pages or documents were found.