full screen background image
What codes do Code Compliance enforce?

MyNevadaCounty.com - County of Nevada, California

Department Directory
Employee Login

This login feature is for Nevada County Employees. Future functionality will offer citizens the ability to log in to this site and manage preferences.

Sign In

Site Help

Use the Site Help Page for tips and suggestions about MyNevadaCounty.com.
What codes do Code Compliance enforce?
Published on: 3/22/2012 12:00 AM
What Codes do Code Compliance enforce?
The Code Compliance division enforces regulations to the following:
  • Condition of existing structures that constitute a clear and present danger to the public.
  • Building Code violations (building, electric, plumbing, mechanical, access, etc) including construction without permits.
  • California State Housing Law (minimum standards for safe and sanitary housing).
  • Illegal solid waste.
  • Zoning requirements for structures such as use, location, configuration, size and land use requirements.
  • Abandoned Vehicles.
CLICK HERE for a Code Compliance Complaint Form.
Who enforces brush and weeds abatement?
Complaints received by the Code Compliance Division regarding weeds and brush will be referred to the Fire Department. For faster resolution it is suggested that you call these complaints into the local Fire Department directly. (You can obtain a list of  Fire Districts serving Nevada County here.)
Who enforces illegal dumping of trash?
Complaints received by the Code Compliance Division regarding trash and illegal dumping on vacant or non-developed property will be referred to the Environmental Health Department. For faster resolution it is suggested that you call these complaints into the Environmental Health Department or the Illegal Dumping Hotline at (530) 265-7111.
Are abandoned/inoperative vehicles on my property a violation?
Vehicles on private property that are abandoned, inoperative, wrecked or dismantled are a violation of the Land Use and Development Code of Nevada County.
In response to written complaints, a Code Officer will visit the property in question and determine if the vehicles located there meet the criteria of abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative. You will be asked to remove, conceal, or make operative each vehicle found to be in violation. The size and characteristics of your property can also dictate the form of remedy.
You can request a hearing before the County Zoning Administrator prior to any action if you wish to contest the County’s decision that the vehicles are a nuisance.
If all else fails, an abatement order will be sought from the Court to remove vehicles that remain in violation. Cooperation in resolving these matters is always the desired course of action.
Who do I contact to report abandoned vehicles on public roads?
The County participates in the Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Program funded by the Abandoned Vehicle Trust Fund. This fund provides for a program of Vehicle Abatement from public roads according the California Vehicle Code and local ordinance.  To report abandoned or wrecked vehicles on public roads please call the Abandoned Vehicle Hotline at (530) 470-2750 or click here to complete an Abandoned Vehicle Abatement form .
Gregory Shaffer
Code Compliance Program Manager
Code Compliance

950 Maidu Avenue Suite 170
Nevada City, Ca 95959
Hours: 8am-5pm M-F
Phone: 530.265.1222
Related Items:

No related pages or documents were found.