full screen background image
In-Home Supportive Services Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

MyNevadaCounty.com - County of Nevada, California

Department Directory
Employee Login

This login feature is for Nevada County Employees. Future functionality will offer citizens the ability to log in to this site and manage preferences.

Sign In

Site Help

Use the Site Help Page for tips and suggestions about MyNevadaCounty.com.
In-Home Supportive Services Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Published on: 2/2/2012 12:00 AM

What is the In Home Supportive Services Program?

The In-Home Supportive Services Program (IHSS) provides in-home services to people who are blind, disabled, or over the age of 65 so they can remain in their homes safely. Services range from assistance with household chores to personal care and paramedical services 


What services does In Home Supportive Services Provide?

IHSS services include:

  • Household chores such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry;
  • Personal care services like dressing, bathing, feeding and meal preparation;
  • Transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments;
  • Protective supervision; and
  • Paramedical services as ordered by a physician.
  • Mobility inside and outside the home
  • Other services per State guidelines


Who Provides IHSS Services?
The Nevada County Public Authority maintains a list of contracted IHSS care providers. Community care providers, friends, neighbors, and relatives can provide services as well.
Who pays for IHSS services?
IHSS services are financed by state, county, and federal funds. Depending on your countable income, you may have to pay for a portion of the cost of services. This is known as "share of cost."
How many hours of IHSS services will I receive each month?
Depending upon your circumstances, you may be eligible for up to 283 hours of IHSS each month. A county social worker will conduct a needs assessment to determine what services you need and how many hours you qualify for based on State guidelines.
How do I apply for IHSS?
You must be receiving or eligible for Medi-Cal. After Medi-Cal eligibility is determined, a county social worker will come to your home to conduct a needs assessment to determine the IHSS services and hours you need. Call or visit the local office to request an IHSS application.
How do I find out if I qualify?
After the needs assessment, IHSS will contact you to let you know if you have been approved or denied. If approved, you will be notified of the services and number of hours authorized. If services are denied or you disagree with the number of hours authorized, you have the right to appeal. The appeals procedure is outlined on the back of the notice you receive.
I live in an assisted living facility. Can I use IHSS services there?
No. If you live in an assisted living facility or a nursing home, you do not qualify for IHSS. If you plan to live on your own in the future, you can apply for IHSS services to begin after your move.
Who hires and supervises my caregiver?

You, the recipient of IHSS services, are responsible for hiring, firing, and supervising your caregiver.

Can I own my own home and qualify for IHSS services?
Yes, but you must be receiving or eligible for Medi-Cal. Call or go to your County Welfare Department to get a Medi-Cal application.
Can I hire family members to provide my IHSS services?
Yes. You can hire relatives, friends, neighbors, and other caregivers to provide you with IHSS services. They must register with the Public Authority.
Can I receive help with my medications via IHSS?
Yes. Your IHSS caregiver can assist you with medications and accompany you to medical appointments.