A Marriage License must be purchased prior to your ceremony.
Applicants must be 18 years and older
Requirements for Application
• Both applicants must be present
• Both must have Valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport
• Blood tests are no longer required as of January 1, 1995
• Fee for a Public Marriage License is $72.00
• No appointment is necessary
Hours of processing are between 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
• It takes about 30 minutes for the license to be issued. The license can be used immediately, and is valid for 90 days
from the date issued and the ceremony can take place anywhere in the State of California.
• Name Equality Act of 2007 Form
signed and dated. Must be submitted at the time of applying for the Marriage License
• Application must be completed in the Nevada County Recorder’s Office
Information Required on Marriage License Application
• First, Middle and Last Name of each party obtaining the marriage license
• Last name if different at birth
• If previously married, then date marriage ended
• Full Birth name of Father for both applicants of marriage license
• State of birth of Father for both applicants of marriage license
• Full Birth name of Mother for both applicants of marriage license
• State of birth of Mother for both applicants of marriage license
Applicants under the age of 18:
If either party is under 18, you must contact the Juvenile Probation Department at (530)265-1300.
After the license is issued, you may be married by any authorized person of your choice. You must be married within 90 days of the date the license was issued and you may be married anywhere in the state of California.
(This only applies for a Public Marriage License)