Mandated Reporter Information
Filing an Online Suspected Child Abuse Report (SCAR)
Before you complete an Online Report Form
Call the 24-hour Child Welfare Services Hotline to make a verbal report, please do so before attempting to complete this online report. You can reach the Hotline by calling 530-273-4291 or toll-free at 1-888-456-9380.
If your verbal report was made to the Hotline, you may complete this online report and it will not be necessary for you to mail or fax a report to Child Welfare. We will automatically retrieve your report and it will be sent to the appropriate agencies.
Instructions for Completing the Form Online
Certain professionals, including, doctors, therapists, teachers and others are mandated to report abuse and neglect. Any mandated reporter who has knowledge of or observes a child, in their professional capacity or within the scope of their employment, whom they know or reasonably suspect has been the victim of child abuse or neglect shall report such suspected incident of abuse or neglect to the designated agency immediately or as soon as practically possible by telephone and shall submit a written report within 36 hours of delivering the information concerning the incident. The written report must be on the Suspected Child Abuse Report (SCAR) Form. The Child Abuse and Reporting Act includes a list of all mandated reporters and reporting requirements. Mandated reporter information is kept confidential.
Completing the Form
1. The report will be created in Adobe Acrobat format, and you will need to have the free "Adobe Acrobat Reader Plug-In" installed on your computer. If you don't have the Acrobat Reader installed, please click here.
2. Enter the number of victims. You will have the option to enter the number of victims inside the form in Section E.
3. It is important to indicate whether or not the child is developmentally delayed or has some disability.
4. The mandated reporter must complete and submit the SCAR (SS8572), even if some of the requested information is "unknown"; please complete all fields on the form. If the information is unknown, enter "unknown".
Completing the Narrative
The SCAR requires that you provide the date, time, and the place of the incident. Additionally, you are required to include the following in your narrative description:
1. What the victim(s) said;
2. What the mandated reporter (you) observed;
3. What the person accompanying the victim(s) said; and
4. Similar past incidents involving the victim(s) or suspect.
Review the questions below before completing the narrative. By providing the information requested, you will assist the Child's Social Worker and law enforcement official assigned to investigate the allegations you have reported. If you don't have all the information, do your best to include as much information as possible. Keep these questions in mind when making your next report:
1. The names of the victim(s) and the perpetrator(s)/suspect(s). Include the relationship of the perpetrator(s)/suspect(s) to the victim and the address and/or current location.
2. Is the victim developmentally disabled?
3. Does the victim have any disability?
4. Provide any known details.
5. Provide specific dates and/or timeframes.
6. Provide the specific location (address if known) of the incident.
7. Who, if anyone, was a witness to the event?
8. Is there anyone else who may know about the incident or who may be able to provide information about the victim or the victim's family?
9. Provide the identifying information (name, address, telephone, etc.) and relationship of the person to the victim/family.
Submitting the Report
1. Open the Suspected Child Abuse Report digital form and fill in.
2. Review the SCAR to ensure that all boxes are checked and the information is complete.
3. Go to Save icon, name (SCAR + last name of the mother or guardian) and save the file.
4. Attach the SCAR and email to email@example.com
5. Email the attached report.
6. Once the SCAR has been reviewed an email confirmation of SCAR receipt will be sent to you.