How to Apply

You can start an application for medical coverage online at the C4Yourself Website. Use the general application form if applying for more than one program (example CalWORKs, CalFresh and Medi-Cal or CMSP) or use the Application for Health Insurance form (PDF) when applying for medical insurance only. Access the County Program Verification List (PDF) for items you may need to provide to support your application.

You can apply for Medi-Cal or CMSP through the Truckee or Nevada City offices. You can print out a form from the following Website links, complete and mail it in, call the one of the offices and have an application packet mailed to you, or visit an office to apply. Email us with questions or for more information.

Benefit Status

A notice of action is mailed to you when your application is approved or denied. You can call the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System at 877-410-8825, the worker or team of workers assigned to your case to check the status of your application.

Sometimes an applicant or recipient doesn't agree with an action that a county worker takes regarding their benefits. If you disagree with an action taken regarding your benefits, you can file for a fair hearing.

Finding a Provider

Not all medical professionals accept Medi-Cal and/or CMSP in payment. To find a clinic, hospital, doctor or other medical provider that does accept Medi-Cal and/or CMSP, either access the Dial 211 website or dial 2-1-1 on your telephone, or visit the California Department of Health Care Locator Service.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Answers to many of the questions you have regarding Medi-Cal and/or CMSP may be answered at the following Websites:
Fraud is an intentional attempt to receive unauthorized public assistance payments or benefits. For more information, see the Public Assistance Fraud page.