Library Code of Conduct
Welcome to the Nevada County Community Library. Library users deserve a clean and safe environment while visiting our facilities. In order to ensure everyone’s comfort, those engaging in the following inappropriate or illegal behaviors may be asked to leave:
- Damage, destruction, or theft of property, including graffiti, tampering with computers, or circumvention of security systems
- Engaging in threatening behaviors, including physical assault, verbal abuse, or sexual harassment towards staff members or other library users
- Smoking or tobacco use in any form (including e-cigarettes or vaping)
- Possessing or using alcohol or controlled substances
- Interfering with the use of library resources, including obstructing access with personal belongings that extend into pathways
- Ignoring directions or instructions from library staff, including refusal to leave the library at closing time
- Sleeping or lying on the floor or furniture
- Solicitations within the library or meeting rooms, including selling goods or services or promoting religious or political beliefs
- Disruptive behavior, including running, using skateboards or rolling shoes, or loud conversations on cell phones or in person
- Eating in the libraries except when part of a library program. Beverages in closed containers are acceptable.
- Inappropriate use of restrooms, including bathing or laundering
- Strong fragrance or odors and/or lack of personal hygiene so as to be offensive to others
- Bare feet and/or being shirtless
- Leaving personal belongings unattended. Please keep all personal items with you at all times.
- Bringing bicycles or rolling containers, such as shopping carts, into the library
- Bringing animals or pets into buildings. Service animals are welcome but may be asked to leave if they become disruptive.
- Unattended children in the library. Please refer to the Policy on Unattended Children for further clarification.
When a library user behaves in a manner that violates policy, library staff may ask them to leave the library facility with or without warning, may contact law enforcement if necessary, and/or may suspend the library user from use of the library facilities.