F O O D F A C I L I T I E S
Our department serves in the best interest of the public by assuring that all food and drinks are safe for people to consume. The food program uses the California Retail Food Code (CRFC) and other state laws to enforce food safety and construction requirements in all retail food facilities.
California Retail Food Code requires a Plan Check Submittal to the Environmental Health Department for the following occurrences:
Food facilities that are built from the ground up
Facilities that are constructed from existing building spaces
Existing food facilities that remodel, change equipment or change their menu.
Please see the following tabs for information on how to submit a Plan Check.
Any building that is being built from the ground up or has not previously been used as a Food Facility must undergo a Major Food Plan Check which consists of plan reviews and inspections to be done by an Environmental Health Specialist.
The Nevada County Building Department conducts construction inspections alongside Environmental Health throughout the building process. The final approval for a facility to open for operation is only granted once all work is complete. If the location is within city limits, please contact the local City's Building Department to assist with construction of the facility.
If you are buying an operating food facility, a Business Advisory with an Environmental Health Specialist is required. This can be requested prior to submitting any plans or purchasing the facility so you can be informed of all items that will need to be corrected or brought up to current Code.
A Plan Check may be required after a Business Advisory has been completed, follow the instructions for "Remodel" if this applies.
If you plan on remodeling a food facility, either that you own or plan to buy, you may have to Apply for a Plan Check. Please refer to the following:
- No Inspection / No Fee: Changing out like for like new equipment, installing new equipment. Must submit equipment specifications to Environmental Health Department for record retention.
- Minor Plan Check / Fee: Changing out a hot water heater, installing new flooring, coving, sinks, dishwashers, etc...
- Major Plan Check / Fee: Major remodeling of an existing food facility, or remodel of a non-food facility to a New Food Facility.
Though we prefer electronic submittals, Plan Checks are too extensive to be submitted online. We ask that you please turn in all required documents in person or via mail. Once we receive your Plan Check and the appropriate fee, an Environmental Health Specialist will do a review. Upon approval, you may apply for a food permit.
To apply for an Annual Environmental Health Permit to Operate, fill out the Certificate of Operation Application and Agreement to Pay form (below). You can pay the annual fee online. When an Environmental Health Specialist issues your permit, you will receive your permit to display in your establishment.
FORMS AND APPLICATIONS
- Food Facility Plan Check Application Packet Opens in New Window Opens in New Window
- Plan Check Application Only Opens in New Window
- Detailed Plan Checklist Opens in New Window
- Finish Schedule Template Opens in New Window
- Equipment Schedule Template Opens in New Window
- Mechanical Exhaust Worksheet Opens in New Window
- Mechanical Exhaust Guidelines 2019 Opens in New Window
- Hot Water Demands Worksheet Opens in New Window
- Certificate of Operation Application Opens in New Window
- Food Facility Self Inspection Opens in New Window
- California Retail Food Facilities Plan Check Guidelines - CCDEH Codes Opens in New Window
|New Business Advisory||$ 373.72|
|Minor Plan Check||$ 560.58*|
|Major Plan Check||$ 1,494.88*|
|Annual Permit Fee - 0 Seats||$ 467.15|
|Annual Permit Fee 1-15 Seats||$ 560.58|
|Annual Permit Fee 16-49 Seats||$ 654.01|
|Annual Permit Fee 50-149 Seats||$ 747.44|
|Annual Permit Fee 150+ Seats||$ 934.30|
|* Please keep in mind that Plan Check fees are
based on a 3 hour and 8 hour time frame for Minor
and Major Plan Checks respectively. Any time spent
beyond that will be charged at a rate of $186.86/hour.