Hazardous Materials (CUPA)

What is the Hazardous Materials Program?

The Hazardous Materials Program protects the public from illegal disposal of Hazardous Materials into soil, groundwater, creeks and rivers.  There are four primary areas of focus: Hazardous Materials Storage, Hazardous Waste Generation, Above Ground Tanks and Underground Storage Tanks.  Businesses that handle hazardous materials are required to have appropriate permits and are inspected on a regular basis.

Image of 3 aboveground, cylindrical shaped, fuel tanks located in an outdoor paved lot.
Image shows a storage area with multiple blue and black 55-gallon drums labeled hazardous material.

For Businesses:

If your business stores hazardous materials above a certain amount, you are required to have a permit and submit a Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) to CERS.

If your business generates any hazardous waste, you are required to have a permit based on the quantity generated each month.

If you are the owner of an above-ground storage tank containing petroleum products with a total storage capacity of at least 1,320 gallons, you must obtain a permit and prepare a Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan.

An underground storage tank (UST) is defined in applicable Federal and State code as "any tank and its associated piping that is located substantially underground which is used for the storage of hazardous substances." Learn what the county and state need from you if your business has a UST.

Beginning in 2013, the California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal EPA) required electronic reporting of HMBP's and waste generation for all businesses that store hazardous materials above reportable quantities. Learn more about CERS.

For Residents:

Information on where and how to safely dispose of your household hazardous waste.