Government Resources and Services

Nevada County is helping to connect affected residents to services after loosing their homes to the Lobo or McCourtney fires.

Connect with Services

Nevada County wants to keep everyone informed as resources are secured to help our community members recover from the Lobo and McCourtney fires. If you have suffered property damage from the fires, please contact 211 Connecting Point by dialing 211 to connect with services.

Local Assistance Center (LAC) and Disaster Recovery Center (DRC)

A Local Assistance Center (LAC) was open from on October 17th at 1020 McCourtney Road Suite C in Grass Valley. Affected residents can easily find information on the federal, state, and local resources at the LAC on our Resources from the LAC web page to help start the recovery process.

A Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) for Nevada, Butte, and Yuba counties is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily until November 20th at the Yuba County Administrative Office in Marysville. The DRC is another resource for residents affected by the Lobo and McCourtney fires and serves as a one-stop-shop for disaster assistance.

The California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) has additional resources and information available for residents statewide who were affected but California's October Wildfires. Find more information on their Wildfire Recovery website.


Please make sure to contact your insurance company and agent before starting to clean your property. Moving debris before talking to your insurance may result affect your insurance claim.

Nevada County Environmental Health is coordinating assistance with the clean-up of lost or damaged properties. In order to provide this assistance, a Right of Entry Permit must be completed and signed by the property owner.

The California Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSD) is helping to assess and remove any hazardous waste on properties as a result of the Lobo and McCourtney fires. CalRecycle is removing the remaining debris and ash from affected properties. Clean-up will start November 1st. The California Southern Baptist Convention is also helping to remove the remaining debris and ash and can also help property owners located important family items such as rings during the debris and ash clean-up.

All persons accessing burned structures should be aware of the hazards associated with those sites. Cleanup efforts may expose you to ash, soot, and fire decomposition products that may cause irritation and other health effects. More information on the Heath Effects from Home and Building Ash can be found in Environmental Health's Press Release.


The Nevada County Building Department has removed all County fees for lost who lost or had damage to their homes during the Lobo and McCourtney fires. They are assisting fire victims through the rebuilding process, and have created permitting information on manufactured, new residence, grading, and accessory structure permitting.

Property Tax Relief

The Nevada County Assessor's Department if offering Property Tax Relief to those who lost or has damage to their property due to the fires. Fill out a Calamity Reassessment Claim Form and return to our Assessor's Office by December 11th, 2017. Property owners can also choose to delay the payment of the December 11th, 2017 first installment of their 2017/18 property tax bill.

Individual Assistance from Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Nevada County was approved for FEMA's Individual Assistance due to our local wildfires. Fire victims can register online, or by calling (800) 621-3362. The program works on a case-by-case basis to provide fire victims assistance, such as temporary housing or financial assistance with home repairs or replacement after being displaced by a disaster, by linking them with other resources. For more information about Individual Assistance process, view FEMA's Sequence of Delivery flow chart.

Assistance for those with Disabilities or Access and Functional Need

California and FEMA are committed to helping fire survivors with disabilities or access and functional needs who may need additional assistance during the recovery process. If you need help completing an application, ASL interpretation, language translation, materials in large print or braille, or hearing assistance, call (916) 361-0380 or for TTY call 711.

Disaster Distress Helpline

The emotional impact of the October wildfires can be as devastating as the economic losses. Nevada County Behavioral Health, with support from the California Department of Healthcare Services and FEMA, has specially trained disaster response counselors available to assist Nevada County residents. Connect with a disaster response counselor by calling 211 (or 1-844-319-4119 if dialing from a phone that is not in the (530) area code) to be connected with someone over the phone or in person.

The Disaster Distress Helpline is also staffed with trained counselors who can help people in need of crisis counseling. Call 800-985-5990 (press 2 for Spanish) or text TalkWithUs or Hablanos to 66746.

CalFresh & Public Assistance

All Penn Valley and Rough and Ready CalFresh households have automatically received replacement CalFresh benefits on their EBT cards for the month of October. Due to the recent fires and to assist those not able to store/prepare food, hot and prepared foods can be purchased with CalFresh EBT cards now through November 15th, 2017. If you lost food because of power outages during the October  Wildfires, please work with the Nevada County Department of Social Services before November 8th, 2017 to receive replacement CalFresh benefits.

For those receiving Public Assistance, Nevada County Department of Social Services can help residents get reimbursements for certain household items. Please contact your County worker, or the Department of Social Services at (530) 265-1340 to find out if you are eligible.

New Identification and DMV Services

The California DMV is waiving fees or penalties for replacement state identification or registration for fire victims, including duplicate driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle registration and title, and disabled person parking placards. In addition, fire victims can acquire substitute license plates and stickers, vehicle disposal paperwork, and driver record printouts, as well as process a change of address. To register for free replacements, fire victims will need to fill out the DMV's Statement of Facts form for vehicle registrations or a Transmittal Form for identification replacements and work with our local DMV office.

For replacement birth certificates, death certificates, or marriage licenses issues in Nevada County, please contact our Clerk-Recorder.

Salvation Army

Salvation Army is taking donations for local residents who lost their homes during the October Fires. Residents can connect with Salvation Army to receive assistance for daily needs such as purchasing groceries or clothing, or assistance paying bills after a disaster. You can reach our local Grass Valley Salvation Army at (530) 274-3500 or in-person at 10725 Alta Street in Grass Valley.

Getting Your Power Back

PG&E has information about how to get power back to your house after a wildfire. If you need to rebuild and power a structure, contact PG&E's local Building and Renovation Service Center online or at 1 (877) 743-7782 during business hours. For more information, view their flyer on Restoring Power to Homes and Buildings After the Lobo and McCourtney Wildfires.

Replacing Lost Eyewear 

Individuals without Vision Service Plans (VSP) coverage can contact their local American Red Cross, or call 1 (800) RED-CROSS (800-733-2767) and request a VSP Global Eyes of Hope gift certificate and use this to obtain necessary eyewear. VSP members who has lost or broken their eyewear due to the wildfires can call VSP Member Services Support Line at 1 (800) 877-7195 to have their VSP benefits reinstated regardless of eligibility.