Before applying for a new septic system, it is necessary to have a valid soils testing (On Site Soils Evaluation - OSSE) done.
An OSSE includes soil tests that determine the effectiveness of soil to filter sewage through leach lines, as well as observations of required setbacks, constraints and possibilities for an individual, “on-site” septic system. The Soils Evaluation Report produced by the consultant of the particular site tested on a parcel is reviewed and evaluated by an Environmental Health Specialist who generates a findings report.
An OSSE must be conducted by a Nevada County approved Soil Testing Consultant. Soils Evaluation Reports are valid for 3 years. Consultant re-certification is required for any reports exceeding 3 years.
It is recommended to have the consultant apply for the OSSE permit, as well as schedule inspections to conduct the OSSE. This can be done by calling the inspection line, (530)265-1599. Once the OSSE has been completed and signed off by the Environmental Health Specialist, you can proceed to apply for a Septic Permit Application.
HOW TO APPLY FOR AN OSSE
- Hire a Nevada County Approved Soils Testing Consultant
- Submit an OSSE application (see options below):
- Option 1: Apply Online (The following is required to apply online: Consultants Contact Information, Plat Plan showing proposed work area and directions to parcel.) Paying your fees is the last step of your online submittal, a link is provided that will take you to a 3rd party, Lexis Nexis. You will need the balance due and permit number to make your payment.
- Option 2: Email OSSE Application and Plat Plan showing proposed work area and directions to parcel to firstname.lastname@example.org Online payment instructions are then emailed to applicant.
- Option 3: EH Drop Box located in Nevada County ERAC Lobby 1st Floor (Submittal must include application and plat plan showing proposed work area and directions to parcel. Payment of $677.50 is to be separately submitted in the payment drop box located next to the EH drop box, no cash please.
- Consultant schedules an OSSE (see below)
- Consultant and Nevada County Specialist meet on site for soils testing
- Consultant submits Soils Evaluation Report to Nevada County
- Nevada County Specialist generates Findings Report to determine what type of septic system to install
- You may then proceed to apply for a Septic Permit
Scheduling an OSSE
Updated: March 24, 2021
We are now scheduling OSSE’s for the week of April 5th - 9th
Please Note: The County will try to accommodate requested dates but cannot guarantee availability.
To schedule an OSSE, please call (530)265-1599.