Burn Permits

November 16, 2020: Nevada, Yuba, Placer and Sierra Counties Burn Suspension Lifted

Residents wishing to burn must verify it is a permissive burn day prior to burning by contacting Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District: (530)  274-7928  MyAirDistrict.com.

For residential burn piles, a burn permit issued by a fire department is required for certain times of the year. You may obtain these free permits from most fire departments in Nevada County and now online at BurnPermit.Fire.ca.gov.

View the CAL FIRE video here on burning safety: cal fire video image

Burn piles are prohibited in the city limits of Grass Valley and Nevada City. A burn permit from the fire district is required in the Town of Truckee. Check with your Home Owners Association if burn piles are permitted in your neighborhood.

Residents are urged to take precautions while burning outdoors to prevent starting a wildfire. Escaped debris burns are a leading cause of wildfires during winter and spring.

Manage Your Burn Pile Safely:

  • Check to see if it is a Burn Day. Visit MyAirDistrict.com or call 530-274-7928.
  • Maintain a 10 ft diameter, down to bare soil, free of flammables.
  • Burn dry, dead material only such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings.
  • Keep a water source and shovel on hand.
  • Tend to your pile always.
  • Check weather conditions before burning; never  burn on a windy day.
  • Burn between 9am-3pm for maximum smoke dispersion. 
  • An adult is required to be in attendance of the fire always.
  • Fully extinguish coals with water. Call 911 right away if you lose control of your burn pile.