Visitors, Camping, River Safety & Hospitality
"Love The Yuba Like a Local" River Safety
River safety is your responsibility. An average of 5 lives are lost each year on the South Yuba River due to high, fast, cold water. Please our enjoy our beautiful trails and beaches, but during high flows...stay out and stay alive!
- Do not stand in moving water.
- If pulled downriver, lie on back, tuck arms, and point feet downstream.
- Always LOOK first! the river is constantly changing.
- Scout safe routes.
- Drinking alcohol and swimming don't mix and never bring glass bottles to the area.
- Wear a life jacket for all river activities.
- Watch children and pets at all times.
- Stay out of the water during high flows.
- No fires allowed in the river canyon.
- No cell service in river canyon.
- Obey all parking signs. Fines now: $162
Please download this .pdf poster to print and share with guests and locals. County of Nevada and our partners want everyone to have a safe and fun time on the beautiful South Yuba River and surrounding areas.
Watch This Water Safety PSA from Nevada County Consolidated Fire District
Please be Aware:
Many areas do not have mobile phone service. Be aware of your service limitations.
- Mapping applications are not always correct. Know where you are going and how to leave safely in an emergency.
- Please obey all posted signs.
- Never block road access.
- Observe Red Flag Warning days and never light a fire during those times.
- Inspect your vehicle for dragging hazards that may spark a fire.
- Never light a campfire in an unauthorized area. If you are not sure, don’t.
- Your vehicle will be ticketed or towed if you are illegally parked and are blocking routes for potential emergency response.
Camping & Recreation
If you are planning a visit to Nevada County or hosting guests, be sure to learn about specific ways to prepare for both fun and safety. From the beauty of the river valleys to the tall pines and our charming historic towns, there are so many ways to enjoy this area. Keeping our environment and guests safe is a top priority for locals, please do your part to protect our home.
For more helpful information on specific areas of interest, visit the following links:
South Yuba River Citizens League
Bureau of Land Management
Want to camp at the river?Visit South Yuba Recreation, Bureau of Land Management.
United States Forest Service
The Tahoe National Forest is a beautiful spot with plenty of recreational options. Plan your trip and learn about warnings and advisories here.