2019 Safety Element Update
The Nevada County Planning Department is currently in the process of updating its Safety Element. The Safety Element update is required by Government Code Section 65302(g) upon the County’s recent adoption of the Housing Element (2019) and the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (2017). The Safety Element addresses potential and existing hazards in the County, which are outlined in the following categories: Emergency Preparedness, Geological Hazards/Seismic Activity, Flood Hazards, Airport and Military Airspace Hazards, Hazardous Material and Mining Hazards, Public Safety Services and Facilities, Fire Hazards and Protection, and Severe Weather Hazards. Among other updates, two additional categories for Climate Change Resiliency and Mitigation, and Environmental Justice have been added to the Safety Element.
The County has completed a public review draft of the updated Safety Element. The Safety Element update is required by Government Code Section 65302(g) upon the County’s recent adoption of the Housing Element (2019) and the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (2017).
The Initial Study for the Safety Element Update is available for review at the following link.
Nevada County is inviting comments and concerns regarding the IS/ND during the public review period spanning December 6, 2019 to January 6, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Written comments should be sent to the following address: Sadie Caldas, Associate Planner, Nevada County Planning Department, 950 Maidu Avenue Suite 170, Nevada City, CA 95959 Phone: 530-265-1345 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; on or before January 6, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
A new draft of the Safety Element is available for review here. Opens in New Window
For prior updates, see below
Hard copies of the draft will be available by October 4, 2019, at following locations:
- Nevada County Planning Department (950 Maidu Avenue, Suite 170, Nevada City, CA 95959)
- Nevada County Board of Supervsiors Office (950 Maidu Ave, Suite 200, Nevada City, CA 95959)
And at the following library locations:
- Madelyn Helling Library (980 Helling Way, Nevada City, CA 95959)
- Grass Valley Library (Royce Branch. 207 Mill Street, Grass Valley, CA 95945)
- Penn Valley Library (11336 Pleasent Valley Road, Penn Valley, CA 95946)
- Bear River Library - High School Library ( 11130 Magnolia Road, Grass Valley, CA 95949)
- Truckee Library (10031 Levon Avenue, Truckee, CA 96161)
We would appreciate any comments in writing by October 25, 2019. If you wish to discuss the Safety Element update process or have questions or comments, please contact Associate Planner Sadie Caldas at (530) 265-1345 or via email at email@example.com.