How to Get a Library Card
Whether a Nevada County resident or non-resident, everyone is eligible for a free library card. Sign up in person at any of our library locations, or read these instructions to apply online:
- Remember to write down your temporary login: PACREG_ _ _ _ _.
- This is a Temporary Online Registration only. A physical library card with full access to all materials will be mailed to California residents, or residents of Washoe County, NV with instructions on how to activate within 30 days of temporary card issuance. Out-of-state residents will need to visit a physical library location and show proof of address to receive their permanent card.
- View a list of digital resources you have access to with the Temporary Online Registration.
Note: In compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection act, you must be 13 or older in order to complete the library card registration.
For children ages 0 to 12. Must have the application signed by a parent or legal guardian with proof of identification.
For teens ages 13 to 17. Student identification card from a local school, driver’s license, or other identification requested. Parent/guardian does not need to be present at time of application.
For patrons 18 and older. Verification of California or Washoe County, Nevada address and identity requested
For all ages. Verification of identity or address not required
All library cards expire every 3 years, and patrons must verify current address to renew the account.
- Youth, Teen & Adult - no limit to number of items borrowed
- Limited - borrow up to 10 items, excluding equipment; verification of identity or address not required
- Student Success - borrow up to 3 items, excluding media and equipment; enrolled through Western County High Schools or Tahoe Truckee Unified School District
- Educator - no limit to number of items borrowed; 60-day loan period excluding equipment; see Educator Card page for more information
Photo identification and proof of address is required to activate your library card. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Current utility bill with name and address
- Tribal ID card
- Student ID card
- Paycheck stub with address
- A piece of mail addressed to applicant
- Voter registration
- Letter or lease agreement from current place of residence
Temporary Online Registration allows access to the following digital resources for 30 days:
- Adult Learning Center
- Britannica Escolar
- Britannica School
- Career Center
- College Center
- DPLA: Digital Public Library of America (library card not required)
- GrantFinder (username and password provided)
- Kanopy (videos of how to access on iPhone/iPad and Web browser)
- Learning Express Library
- New York Times
- Resources in Spanish
- School Center
- TeachingBooks (library card not required)
- Tumblebooks (library card not required)