Tax Auctions are held in November of each year and again in January for properties that did not sell in the November auction. Check back after June 30 each year for details of the upcoming tax auction including a list of potential tax auction properties.
Upcoming Tax Auctions
Parcel List: TBD. Due to COVID 19 we will not be holding a November 2020 tax auction, please check back in May 2021 for potential auction properties. .
Properties in Nevada County that have had tax delinquencies for five or more years may be offered for sale by the Tax Collector. The primary purpose of the tax sale is to return the tax defaulted property to the tax rolls. Offering the property for sale achieves this by either selling the property or forcing redemption.
All parcels offered at public auction are sold “as is”. No warranty is expressed or implied in any manner regarding property sold at the public auction, including, but not limited to, the following example: no claims are made to guarantee access to, or building permits for, any of the parcels involved in the sale. Prior to bidding, it is your responsibility to adequately research properties, so you know what you are buying. The County assumes no liability for any other possible liens, encumbrances or easement, recorded or not recorded. Lack of adequate research may result in the purchase of unusable property, with no entitlement to a refund. All sales are final. The ability to challenge a sale extends one-year from the date tax deeds are recorded. Buyers should be aware that a rescission of the sale could occur although very rarely. Should the sale be considered invalid, the tax deed will be rescinded and the buyer will receive a full refund of the purchase price.
Past Auction Information & Available Excess Proceeds
- Results of the January 24-27, 2020 Re-offer Tax Auction: Excess Proceeds Claim forms have been mailed to parties of interest. Claims are due no later than March 4, 2021 See Excess Proceeds Publication for parties of interest.
- Results of the January 28, 2019 Re-Offer Tax Auction (PDF): No excess proceeds resulted from this auction.
- Results of the November 12, 2018 Tax Auction (PDF): Claiming period has closed. Excess proceeds have been distributed to eligible claimants with the exception of one, which is still under reveiw for distribution. See Excess Proceeds Publication for parties of interest.
- Results of the January 22, 2018 Tax Auction (PDF): Claiming period has closed. Excess proceeds have been distributed to eligible claimants. See Excess Proceeds Publication for parties of interest.
- Results of the November 13, 2017 Tax Auction (PDF): Claiming period has closed. Excess proceeds have been distributed to eligible claimants or have been turned over to the Superior Court for Interpleader. See Excess Proceeds Publication for parties of interest.