Winter is approaching and the Nevada County Office of Emergency Services (OES) would like to remind residents that free sand and sandbags are available at four locations:
- Next to the Nevada County Warehouse on the corner of Highway 49 and East Broad Street in Nevada City
- Penn Valley Fire Protection District located at 10513 Spenceville Road in Penn Valley
- North San Juan Community Hall located at 10057 Reservoir Street in North San Juan
- Higgins Fire Station 21 located at 10106 Combie Road
Residents must bring their own shovel to fill the sandbags with sand. Sand bags are very limited, so we do request that residents only take what they plan to use for protection of their personal property.
If you are operating a vehicle, please review the following tips:
- Avoid areas subject to sudden flooding
- Do not attempt to drive (or walk) across running water more than a few inches deep
- Avoid driving in water that downed electrical or power lines have fallen in
- Avoid hydroplaning by driving slowly and keeping your tires inflated correctly
Don't forget to accomplish the following:
- Clear rain gutters
- Repair roof leaks
- Cut away tree branches that could fall on your house
For road failures and trees down in the right of way during business hours call (530) 265-1411 and call 911 for any emergencies.
An important reminder for storm preparedness is to monitor a forecasted severe weather event, by monitoring the local media or visiting online weather forecast services.
For additional questions or comments, contact the OES at firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 265-1515.