The "Veteran" designation on State ID Card and Driver's License is very popular at the Nevada County Veteran Service Office (VSO).
Since November 2015, the Nevada County VSO has helped the Veterans of this county complete paperwork to receive their state issued "Veteran" identification card, a convenient designation that grants Vets access to a wide range of benefits to which they are entitled.
Thanks to California Assemblyman Frazer, AB 935 passed and was signed by Governor Brown in 2014. This initiated legislation to include a Veteran's designation on their driver's license and state issued ID cards. Enacted November 12, 2015, the bill requires the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and other departments to issue state ID cards with the word "VETERAN" on them.
Prior to AB 935, it was difficult for military Veterans to prove they served in the US armed forces. At the time, the only Federally approved military ID cards issued were military retiree ID cards, dispensed by the Veterans Administration (VA) for eligible Veterans on a limited basis. Veterans who are ineligible for one of these ID cards are often left without an official form of proof they served in the military. In fact, only 36 percent of Veterans have these types of ID cards while the other 64 percent are out of luck.
Thankfully, today, the new state-issued ID cards allow Veterans to prove they are eligible to receive state and Federal Veterans benefits without having to carry around and present a cumbersome form. Veterans also take advantage of special discount incentives at participating retailers who give discounts to those who have served in our armed forces.
In addition to the convenience of the state-issued Veteran ID cards, the biggest return on investment for your VSO is that the application process initiates a conversation between our Veteran representatives and the Veteran regarding other benefits to which they may be entitled. This truly is a win-win for Veterans in Nevada County.
Applying for the state-issued Veteran ID cards is easy. Stop by the Nevada County Veteran Services office today with your DD-214 and VSO staff will assist you. The application form certifies the person applying for the Veteran ID card is a Veteran from the active armed forces with a discharge that was issued under honorable circumstances.
Remember, one of biggest barriers to Veterans gaining access to the benefits programs to which they are entitled is having proof of military service. The Nevada County Veterans Service Office can help you in obtaining your Veteran ID card. If you have any questions about the state-issued Veteran ID cards, the process, or Veteran benefit programs in general, stop by the Nevada County VSO to talk to us.
Reach David West, Nevada County Veterans Service Officer, at (530) 265-1446 or email@example.com. The Nevada County Veteran's Services Office, 988 McCourtney Rd, Grass Valley, CA, is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.