Winter weather is here and the Nevada County Office of Emergency Services (OES) would like to remind residents that free sand and sandbags are available at four locations.
- Next to the Nevada County Warehouse on the corner of Highway 49 and East Broad Street in Nevada City
- Penn Valley Fire Protection District located at 10513 Spenceville Road in Penn Valley
- North San Juan Community Hall located at 10057 Reservoir Street in North San Juan
- Higgins Fire Station 21 located at 10106 Combie Road in Grass Valley
Residents must bring their own shovel to fill the sandbags with sand. Sand bags are very limited, so we do request that residents only take what they plan to use for protection of their personal property.
With more winter weather incoming, take a look at the following tips to prepare yourself for the winter season:
Winterize your Vehicle
- Avoid areas subject to sudden flooding
- Do not attempt to drive (or walk) across running water more than a few inches deep
- Avoid driving in water that downed electrical or power lines have fallen in
- Avoid hydroplaning by driving slowly and keeping your tires inflated correctly
Winterize your House
- Clear rain gutters
- Repair roof leaks
- Cut away tree branches that could fall on your house
For more information on how to prepare for winter visit the OES Winter Preparedness page.