Recycle your Christmas tree for free at several locations in Western Nevada County!
Trees can be disposed of in two easy ways:
Residents that subscribe to Waste Management's green waste collection service can cut trees into three foot sections and place them in the green waste cart. Please make sure the lid on the cart can close!
Waste Management will also deliver bins for the disposal of holiday trees at the following times and locations:
- Eric Rood Administration Center: 950 Maidu, Nevada City (drop box at Cement Hill entrance) December 26th - February 2nd
- McCourtney Road Transfer Station: 14741 Wolf Mountain Rd. Grass Valley Wednesday – Sunday, December 26th - February 2nd, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Lake Wildwood Wastewater Treatment Plant: 12622 Pleasant Valley Rd, Penn Valley - Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Lake of the Pines Wastewater Treatment Plant: 10803 Riata Way, Auburn - Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Alta Sierra Fire Department: 11833 Tammy Way, Grass Valley Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Please remember, trees must be free of ornaments, lights or metal stands and un-flocked. Take advantage of free Christmas tree recycling and help keep Nevada County litter free.
Waste Management Holiday Service Schedule:
Waste Management of Nevada County will not operate any collections on the following holidays:
- Christmas, December 25
- New Year's Day, January 1st
If your collection day falls on or after the holiday listed, it will be delayed one day.
General Holiday Recycling Tips:
Remember to recycle right during the holidays! Here are some common items that are frequently misplaced during the holiday season. Can you guess where they should go? (Trash or Recycling) Happy Holidays!
- Broken String of Lights (Trash)
- Bubble Wrap and Packaging Air Bags (Trash)
- Foil Gift Wrap (Trash)
- Paper Gift Bag (Recycling)
- Cardboard Boxes (Always Breakdown/Recycling)
Have a wonderful holiday season and happy New Year!