full screen background image
CalFresh (Food Stamps)

MyNevadaCounty.com - County of Nevada, California

Department Directory
Employee Login

This login feature is for Nevada County Employees. Future functionality will offer citizens the ability to log in to this site and manage preferences.

Sign In

Site Help

Use the Site Help Page for tips and suggestions about MyNevadaCounty.com.
CalFresh (Food Stamps)
Published on: 3/14/2012 12:00 AM
CalFresh (federally known as the Supplemental Nutrutional Assistance Program or SNAP) is a federally mandated program that provides monthly food benefits to assist low-income households in purchasing the food they need to maintain adequate nutritional levels. In general, these benefits are for any food or food product intended for human consumption and can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. If you are finding it difficult to afford the nutritious food that you and your family needs, the CalFresh Program may be able to help you.
The amount of benefits you can receive is dependent on your family size, countable income, and monthly expenses such as housing, utilities, and so forth.
All U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents may qualify to receive CalFresh benefirts. Families, as well as individuals with no children, may qualify.
The program issues monthly benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores. These benefits are issued on an Electornic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card which looks like any other credit card.
Benefits may not be used for items such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, or paper products.
Read about how CalFresh has helped feed the community in Nevada County:  HHSA "Stronger Together" Publication

How to Apply:

You can start an application for CalFresh at the C4Yourself Website
Use the general application form  if applying for more than one program (example CalWORKs, CalFresh and Medi-Cal or CMSP). Access the County Program Verification List  for items you may need to provide to support your application.  Complete and print the form, then mail or deliver it to the Nevada City or Truckee office.
You can also visit our Nevada City or Truckee offict to apply in person, call to request an application be mailed to you, or e-mailus with any questions.
Access the California Department of Social Services CalFresh Site for more information on the CalFresh programYou may also e-mail us with any questions.

Benefit Status:

A notice of action is mailed to you when your benefits are approved, denied, discontinued, or if your benefit amount changes.   You can call the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System at (877) 410-8825, the worker or team of workers assigned to your case to check the status of your application or benefits.  You may access an estimate of eligibility at the California Department of Social Services website.  Do not rely on the results as the final decision as there are many program rules that may be specific to your situation that could qualify you for benefits.  Always consult your local social services department for a complete determination. 
If your CalFresh is approved, your benefits will be issued to you with an Electronic Benefit Transfer Card (EBT)
Sometimes an applicant or recipient doesn't agree with an action that a county worker takes regarding their benefits.  If you disagree with an action taken regarding your benefits, you can file for a fair hearing.
Fraud is an intentional attempt to receive unauthorized public assistance payments or benefits. For more information, see the Public Assistance Fraud page.
EBT farm market button purple.gif



Sara Connor
Program Manager
Public Assistance

950 Maidu Avenue Suite 120
Nevada City, Ca 95959
Hours: 8am-5pm M-F
Phone: 530.265.1340
Related Items:

No related pages or documents were found.